New Page 1
The district Killa Abdullah is named after Sardar Abdullah
Khan Achakzai, who was a man of great influence. He was one of the two great
leaders of the rebellion at Kabul in 1841, during which the British envoy was
He bought Dehsora Karez from
Kakars and Chashma Inzergai from the Ashezai Achakzai, in the early part of the
19th century. He then built a fort (Killa) and gave the place his own name. This
place is located 38 km west of Pishin. Killa Abdullah was part of district
Pishin. In 1993, it was separated from Pishin for administrative reasons and was
given the status of a district.
The history of Killa Abdullah district is identical with the
history of Kandahar. Little is known of its history before the 13th century A.D.
It is certain that it was a part of the Kingdom of Amir Sabuktagin and of
Mahmood Ghaznavi. In the early 15th century Kandahar was under the rule of
Timurs successors. It was probably at the beginning of the 19th century that
Tarins emigrated from Takht-I-Suluman and settled in Killa Abdullah and its
Between 1530 and 1545, the Province of Kandahar was in the
possession of Mirza Kamran (Brother of Mughal Ruler Humayun). Thereafter, the
kingdom was brought under the rule of the Safavid dynasty in 1622 and remained
under them till 1709.
Later on Ghilzai came to power and ruled the district. From
the Durranis the area passed into the hands of Barakzai. In 1833 the area was
given to Khush Dil Khan (The nephew of the Governor of Kandahar as a Jagir).
During the first Afghan war Quetta and Pishin areas fell into
British hands in 1839. In 1842, however, Pishin valley was again occupied by
Under an agreement in 1879 Pishin, along with other
districts, ceded to the British Government and in 1882 British authority was
extended over these areas. In 1883 Pishin and its adjoining areas were combined
with Quetta. The British ruled the area till the independence of the
sub-continent, in August 1947. From then up to 1975 Quetta and Pishin were a
single administrative unit. In 1975, Pishin was separated from Quetta and in
1993 Killa Abdullah was separated from Pishin. It was given the status of a
district and Chaman was declared its headquarters.
There are no important structures of any kind in the
district, indicating its conditions in ancient times. Many scattered mounds are
found, each having a local tradition attached to it. The most important mounds
Spin Ghundi Mound:
Located at the foot of an offshoot of the Khawaja Amran range within the limits
of the Habibzai village in Killa Abdullah. Evidently this is the mound which was
excavated in 1881 by Captain Lock. Local triditions tell curious stories about
Khawaja Amran Shrine:
This shrine can be reached from Gulistan by Khurgi.
It is accessible from Chaman and Shero Garden. The shrine consists of an
enclosure surrounded by a wall of stones and containing a grave covered over
with stones. It is 16.5 meters long and 9.0 meters wide. Khawaja Amran is said
to have been a Tajik. As a saint, fecundity was his speciality. Married women,
unable of conceive believe that by praying on the grave they will become
Warning: include() [function.include]: Filename cannot be empty in E:\Domains\b\balochistanpolice.gov.pk-1082380617\user\htdocs\disttprofiles\k-abdullah.php on line 126
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '' for inclusion (include_path='.;C:\PHP-5.2.17\pear') in E:\Domains\b\balochistanpolice.gov.pk-1082380617\user\htdocs\disttprofiles\k-abdullah.php on line 126