name Quetta originates from the Pashtoo word Kwatta which means a fort. In the
beginning, the town was situated within the walls of fort “A Miri” which is
now used as an arsenal. The district is bounded on the north by district Pishin;
on the east by Ziarat; on the south by Mastung and on the west by district Killa
Till the middle of the eighteenth
century, the history of Quetta district is identical with the history of
Kandahar. In the eleventh century it was part of the Graeco-Bactrian empire.
After that it remained under the Kingdom of the Amir Sabuktagain and Mahmood
Ghaznavi till the thirteenth century. In 1470, the Kandahar Kingdom was
succeeded by Timur’s. Between 1530 and 1545, the Province of Kandahar was in the
possession of Mirza Kamran (The brother of a Mughal ruler). In1622 the Kingdom
was brought under the sway of the Safavid dynasty and remained there until 1709.
Later Ghilzai came into power and ruled the area. Thereafter, Quetta was
transferred to Nadir. Later on history relates that Ahmed Shah Durrani finally
conferred Quetta to the Khan of Kalat as a shall (present).
The British Government occupied
Quetta during the first Afghan war in 1839. Just after three years, in 1842, it
came back into the hands of Khan of Kalat. Due to its strategic importance, it
was reoccupied by Sir Robert Sandeman in 1876.
On 26 May, 1876, a treaty was signed
by Amir Yaqoob Khan of Afghanistan with the British Government at Gandamak. Thus
the conflict which emerged as a result of the first and second Afghan war came
to an end.
In 1883, Quetta was formed into a
separate single administrative unit (Quetta - Pishin district). Due to its
geo-strategic importance, the British built Quetta as a garrison town. They
extended the roads and railway network to Afghanistan and Iran. This situation
remained unchanged till the partition of the Sub-continent in 1947.
Under the one-unit system from 1955
to 1970, Quetta and Kalat were the administrative units in West Pakistan. After
abolishing the unitary system, Quetta was declared as Capital of Balochistan.
Till 1975, Quetta and Pishin were a single administrative unit. In that year
Pishin was declared a separate district.
Very little is known about the human
settlement in the district. However, it is certain that the Afghans and Brahuis
are recent immigrants. The Pashtoons appear to have entered the district from
the north east, emigrating from their home round the Takht-i-Sulaman. Kasis (A
branch of Afghan) are said to have migrated from their home around the
Takht-i-Sulaman about eight centuries ago. They made their first settlement at
Samli, a village near Quetta city. The Brahuis are an offshoot from the Kalat
territory and their presence in the district dates back to the eighteenth
With the passage of time, Quetta
began to expand and soon it turned into a beautiful small town. The British paid
special attention to its cleanliness. However, 31 May, 1935 was a black day in
the history of Quetta. An earthquake destroyed Quetta city completely. The
Cantonment area survived to a great extent.
The reconstruction started soon
after. Till 1947 Quetta was a small town. People used to call it small London.
But rapid population growth in terms of rural - urban migration, and influx of
Indian refugees increased the population at Quetta. Influx of Afghan refugees
during the 1980s helped the slums to grow. New settlement in the form of housing
schemes emerged at Satellite Town, Jinnah Town, Samungli Town, Model Town and
Shahbaz Town. In Kachi Abadies, slums also begun to develop. The process of
settlement continues. Now Quetta has turned into an over-populated city
There are some mounds and karezes of
ancient time in the district. The most important archaeological site is a Quetta
Miri (a mass of indurated clay). The base of Miri is 183 meter long by 122 meter
wide and rises 24.4 meter above the plain. The Miri is now used as an Arsenal.
Among other noticeable mounds are one between Katir and Kuchlak, known as the
Kasiano Dozakh, Tor Ghund near Baleli and Tor Wasi between Panjpai and Muhammad
Khel. Besides, some karezes of archaeological interest are found at Kirani,
Sariab and Kachi Baig.
Warning: include() [function.include]: Filename cannot be empty in E:\Domains\b\balochistanpolice.gov.pk-1082380617\user\htdocs\disttprofiles\quetta.php on line 114
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '' for inclusion (include_path='.;C:\PHP-5.2.17\pear') in E:\Domains\b\balochistanpolice.gov.pk-1082380617\user\htdocs\disttprofiles\quetta.php on line 114