Sibi district was established
in October 1903 then covering the present districts of Sibi, Ziarat, Dera Bugti,
Kohlu, and Nasirabad.
The district is named after
its headquarters, the town of Sibi, which in its turn derives its name from Siwi,
a Hindu lady of Sewa race who is said to have ruled over this part of the
country in former times.
The district borders on
Ziarat district in the north, and in the north east on Loralai district. In the
east and south east it borders on Kohlu district. To the south and south west
lies Bolan district and in the north west it borders on Mastung district and
History of Colonial
The British colonial
influence started extending to Sibi region in the late forties of the 19th
century, when in 1839, Misri Khan, the head of Panri tribe, tendered his
services to Shah Shuja, and was taken into British service with a number of his
followers, who were styled the "Baloch Levy.
Subsequent events are a story of long and intense tribal wars that paved the way
for ultimate annexation of the Sibi region to the British colonial empire. An
entertaining account of the political events after Misri Khan's induction into
British service is given in an old (undated) Gazetteer of Sibi; of which
relevant excerpts are presented below:
"In March 1841, Mr. Ross
Bell, the Political Agent in upper Sind, deputed one of his assistants with a
detachment of troops, under the command of Colonel Wilson of the Bombay Cavalry,
to collect the arrears of revenue due from Khajaks of Sibi on behalf of Shah
Shuja. The detachment was accompanied by Misri Khan, and on the Khajaks refusing
to comply with the demands, attacked the town, but were repulsed with heavy
loss....... Reinforcements from Bagh were sent up under General Brooks. But
before they could arrive the Khajaks abandoned their town, the defence of which
were then demolished. The Khajaks were permitted to return during the following
year and the town was rebuilt. From November 1841 to September 1842 an Assistant
Political officer, resided at Sibi. When the British troops were withdrawn from
Afghanistan on the termination of the war, the district was handed over by the
British to the Khan of Kalat, but it does not appear to have been occupied by
him, and in 1843 again came under the Baruzai rule ----. up to the second Afghan
war Sibi continued to be held by the Baruzai chiefs as governors of the Afghan
rulers; but owing to the constant raids and encroachments of the Marris, the
country was, at the request of the Sardars and people, occupied at the
commencement of the war by a detachment of troops from Jacobabad...... In
November 1887 the Kach-Kowas and Harnai valleys, Sibi, Duki and Thal-Chotiali
were declared parts of British India...... Owing to the disputes between the
Zarkuns and the Marris, Kohlu was brought under the British protection and added
to the Thal-Chotiali district in 1892. In February 1891 Sanjawi was again
transferred to Thal-Chotiali, and Barkhan was added in April 1892. On
reconstruction of the district in October 1903, the Barkhan, Duki and Sajawi
tehsils were transferred to the new Loralai district, and the name of the
Thal-Chotiali district was changed into that of Sibi district."
The district underwent
reorganization in the post-independence period to create Nasirabad division,
Dera Bugti district, Kohlu district and Ziarat district. Following the post-1947
administrative re-organisation, the district's territorial jurisdiction has
shrunk from 11,390 sq. miles as it was in 1903, to 7.796 sq. miles. The old
description of it being a district covering vast and varied climatological
zones, as it once was, is no longer true.
1. Fort Mir Chakar
2. Victoria Hall
built in 1903; now named Jirga Hall.
3. Nari Gauge;
from where the Nari canal takes off.
4. Sohbat Sarai
5. Sibi Stadium,
the venue of the famous Sibi week.
Warning: include() [function.include]: Filename cannot be empty in E:\Domains\b\balochistanpolice.gov.pk-1082380617\user\htdocs\disttprofiles\sibi.php on line 137
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '' for inclusion (include_path='.;C:\PHP-5.2.17\pear') in E:\Domains\b\balochistanpolice.gov.pk-1082380617\user\htdocs\disttprofiles\sibi.php on line 137