Frequently Asked Questions

How can I have a First Information Report (FIR) registered at a Police station? Top

An FIR is an account of a cognizable (i.e. over which police has jurisdiction) offence that is entered in a particular format in a register at the police station. Every person has a right to report any matter at the concerned police station and have a criminal case registered in the form of an FIR. The matter may be reported orally or in writing to an officer at a police station or on patrol. An officer who receives an oral report shall reduce it to writing and cause it to be recorded in the FIR register. A certified copy of the FIR, signed by an officer bearing the stamp of the police station is to be provided to the person who reports the crime.

No police officer has the authority to refuse registration of a case. In case a crime is reported and a case is not registered, the person who reports the crime must inform the Sub-Divisional Police Officer or the Superintendent of Police responsible for law and order in that particular area.

What is the procedure for transfer of Investigation in case a party is not satisfied with investigation? Top

Police Act 2011, provides the authority (IGP) to issue an order for the transfer of investigation. Either of the parties to a case may request a transfer of investigation. In case a party is not satisfied with the quality of an investigation or the conduct of an investigating officer, he may approach the district’s Superintendent of Police, Investigation, or the concerned SP, the DIG or Addl IGP who has his office in the Inspector General of Police Office Balochistan. The complaint should preferably be made in writing with a copy of the complainant’s National Identity Card attached to it. The complaint must contain the FIR no. of the case and the name of the concerned police station and district.

The change is ordered by the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Balochistan. A complaint may be submitted to the IGP or the Addl. IGP (Admn). The matter would be referred to DIGP Special Branch for his opinion regarding such transfer of investigation to Crimes Branch etc or a direct order by the IGP Balochistan for change of investigation to Crimes Branch can be issued.

Usually DIGP Crimes Branch Quetta does not recommend a case for transfer unless its investigation has been completed. The investigating officers generally continue investigating the case while it's transfer is being considered.

What is section 182 and the punishment for having a false case registered?  Top
Section 182 of the Pakistan Penal Code provides for a maximum penalty of six months in prison or fine or both in case a person deliberately has a false case registered. The section is however non-cognizable, i.e. the police cannot automatically register a case under section 182. A court has to order police to proceed against a person under section 182; in case a complaint has been brought to the court by the police or another person.  
What is section 144 and what does it imply? Top
Section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) empowers district administration to issue orders in public interest that may place a ban on an activity for a specific period of time. Such a ban is enforced by the police who register cases under section 188 of the Pakistan Penal Code against violations of the ban. Section 188 carries a maximum penalty of six months in prison or fine or both.